Sunday, July 27, 2014

Must Breathe Slowly


"if you have one hour of air and many hours to go,
you must breathe slowly."
-mark nepo-

Day 10/31: sometimes it is hard to self-soothe, no matter what you do. today was one of those days for me where the stress and tension in my back and neck was off the charts. it seemed like every conversation i had flooded me with anxiousness about some future task or trouble yet to be seen. i hate when i feel this way. it's not my normal. 

later in the afternoon when the others were sleeping, i went to the pool by myself. i hadn't swam laps since before i was pregnant so it has been at least 3 years. as i swam, i breathed. swimming is so much about the breath. so is life. this mark nepo quote came into my mind. 
slow the breath. slow the mind. relax the body.

i did not swim too long, but when i got out and laid in the warmth, under the shade of a crepe myrtle, i noticed the tension in my body had dissipated. 
when i came back home, the others were waking, and i still had many hours to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment