Friday, July 18, 2014

Mandala Project Explained


What is a Mandala?
Mandalas are circles....sacred circles. Mandalas appear in all aspects of life such as the Sun, Moon, Earth, and circles of life. Mandalas can be created by people to symbolize their journeys though life. They can also tell a story of where and individual has been. 

This is my mandala story.

In 31 days I will be turning 31-years old! Last year, I blogged on my Grateful for Thirty site each day about one person in my life I was grateful for every for 30 days leading up to my 30th birthday. It was a really enjoyable practice that helped me embrace turning 30 with so much appreciation for the beautiful collage of people that fill up my life. So this year, I have decided to continue with a practice, though it will be a little different.

This year I will be working on a piece of art every day for 31 days. Each day I will create a mandala that is inspired by a story, message or belief that I hold true. I hope to make it a meditative practice, and something that I can do by just carving out 5-10 minutes of my day. At the end of the journey, I plan to turn the mandalas into greeting cards and send them off...a symbolic gesture, just likes the monks do when they are done creating their sand mandalas. The sand mandalas are ritualistically destroyed once complete to symbolize impermanence of life. 


So here it goes....

Tibetan Monks making a mandala one sand grain at a time, Austin City Hall, 2011


No comments:

Post a Comment